The revival of the slow cooker is upon us – hoorah! The option to slow cook is becoming so attractive to parents because you can still produce a delicious, healthy meal for all your family, minus the rush!
With these quick, simple recipes, you can flip the switch in the morning and return to a fully cooked meal later that day, eliminating any evening cooking conundrums. Leaving the meal to cook allows the flavours to infuse together, creating a tasty teatime treat that you and your kids will love.
So if you have a slow cooker collecting dust at the back of your kitchen cupboard, now is the time to utilise it. These recipes are perfect for when the Autumnal nights draw in to warm your tummies and taste buds!
Get started with some of our suggested slow cooker recipes for your family;
Spaghetti Bolognese – a firm family favourite, this classic tasty Italian dish ensure kids get their 5-a-day and you will love it too.
- 450g of mince (use Quorn mince for a vegetarian alternative)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 stick of celery, diced
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 150 ml of beef stock (or vegetarian stock)
- 1 tsp of dried mixed herbs
- 1 tbsp of tomato puree
- Salt and pepper (for seasoning if desired)
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan, sauté the onion for about 3 minutes before adding the mince, season (if desired) and brown.
- Now add the remaining ingredients, bring to the boil and transfer to your slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, until the carrots are tender.
- Cook the spaghetti according to the packet instructions. Serve and enjoy!
Sausage, Bean and Sweet Potato Casserole – healthy and surprisingly delicious, see if your family enjoy this alternative take on a traditional casserole.
- 1 pack of Toulouse sausages (or good quality vegetarian sausages)
- 1 bag of sweet potatoes (1kg) – you’ll need approx 3/4 of these
- 1 can of chopped tomatoes
- 1 can of cannellini beans in water
- 1 can of sweetcorn
- 1 small onion
- Grill the sausages and chop into chunks, meanwhile peel, chop into chunks and par boil the sweet potatoes (for about 5 minutes).
- Sauté the onions and transfer to your slow cooker, along with the chopped tomatoes, cannellini beans, sweetcorn, potatoes and sausage chunks.
- Stir contents and cook on low for 6-8 hours for maximum taste.
Beef Stew – This hearty, winter warmer is a quintessentially British favourite and fills the house with a beautiful smell to welcome you home.
- 1.2L water boiled from a kettle
- 1/2 a swede, cut into small chunks
- 3 medium sized carrots, cut in chunks
- Mushrooms (as many as you want)
- 1 large pack of lean stewing steak or rump steak, cut into small even chunks
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 75g flour
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 3 to 4 beef stock cubes
- Prepare vegetables and transfer into slow cooker.
- Put the oil and beef into a large bowl and coat the beef with the oil using wooden spoon or your hands.
- In another large bowl combine the flour, herbs, pepper and 3 stock cubes. Add the beef to the flour mixture and coat the beef with the flour.
- Cook the beef all the way through for about 5 to 10 minutes to seal in the flavour.
- Add the rest of the flour to the vegetables in the slow cooker.
- Pour boiled water onto the vegetables a little at a time and stir to mix in the flour.
- Add the beef and cooking juices to the pot and cook for 6-8 hours on low or 4-6 hours on high.
We would love to hear if your family enjoyed our suggestions, or if you have any of your own for us to try out at home!
Visit www.totstotravel.co.uk to see what baby and toddler friendly options we can offer your family!
Tots to Travel offer baby friendly holidays and child friendly holidays both in the UK and abroad. Our range includes child friendly villas, including perfect villas for kids, baby friendly cottages, baby friendly villas and more…